We may be a week or so past Wife Appreciation Day (yes - it is a thing), but - honestly - is it ever too late to treat your leading lady? We think not. So - no matter where you are in the world - sit up and take note (or surreptitiously forward this on to your hubby!).
1.New York City
Always an ‘easy’ place to start in these types of blogs, but always for a good reason. We especially love it here at Christmas time (seriously - we wrote a whole piece on it here), but honestly, whenever you choose to come, you won’t be disappointed. Boasting an unrivaled vibrancy, diversity and energy, it’s the perfect place to fall in love all over again.
2. Bruges, Belgium
3. Bali, Indonesia
Got some groveling to do or has your other half had a particularly tough time of late? Time to bring out the big guns. Bali is a can’t-go-wrong kinda vacation, thanks to its world-class, white sandy beaches, healthy-yet-delicious food, focus on inner wellbeing and dazzling nightlife. Get lost in the traditional culture, trek through lush jungles - complete with a monkey on your back - and visit a temple. It’s truly the stuff of dreams. Want to bank some even more brownie points? Treat her to a world-class massage (or five.).
4. Cotswolds, UK
If you find yourself in the UK any time soon, we can’t recommend a stay in a Chocolate Box Village enough. The Cotswolds - a declared Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty - is everything you think it is: Cobbled streets, cottages with thatched roofs and old historical towns. If you’re into water sports, you should check out the water park, too; a network of beautiful lakes offering a range of adrenaline-pumping activities such as sailing, kayaking and windsurfing.
5. Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Rio knows how to throw a party, so if your other half is up for a bit of spice, this should be at the top of the list. With a vibrancy that knows no bounds, this tour de force not only offers an explosion of wild carnivals but also all the classic elements of a romantic-filled getaway, such as gorgeous beaches.
6. Santorini, Greece
If you’re after a romantic getaway to treat the wife, then you really can’t go wrong with this little slice of heaven, surrounded by the sparkling turquoise sea and featuring whitewashed houses and resorts - carved into the cliffs - blue-domed churches and captivating sunsets made up of pinks, oranges and golds. Once she’s stopped gawping at her picturesque surroundings (which may never happen), you can then (lazily!) fill your time with scenic walks, delicious food (and fine wine!), a cooking class and photo safari!
7. Kerala, India
This beautiful state (a top ten paradise according to National Geographic Traveler) is famed for its picturesque greenery, beautiful beaches and backwaters. Book a tour on a houseboat where you’ll visit fishing villages and learn about the culture and customs of those who live here.
8. The Maldives
Another one of the big guns here: Think white, sandy beaches and an abundant marine life that you can see through the crystal clear waters - and that’s before we even mention the intensity in color of the blue sea surrounding you. Add to the mix an array of water-filled activities such as scuba diving, fishing and an incredible up-close-and-personal dolphin cruise and you’ll soon see why it’s been rated one of the most beautiful islands in the world. Of course, if you like the idea of the sea illuminating your room, you’ll probably also want to stay in one of the overwater bungalows with transparent floors - a bit of a splurge but by this point, who’s counting and - treat your wives day - remember?
9. Bora Bora, French Polynesia
A stunning mix of bright blue and gorgeous green waters await you as soon as you land in this special place, and you’ll be able to fully appreciate this - and the schools of tropical fish - from the comfort of your overwater bungalow. Fill your days with whale watching, jet skiing or a lazy float along the sea in one of the many cruises on offer.
• Bangkok. There are more than a few good reasons Bangkok has emerged as a hotspot for couples. Spend some time together in a Thai Culinary school, visit the spiritual temples and enjoy a romantic Chao Phraya River dinner cruise.
- Phuket. Lush forests, tropical gardens and breathtaking ocean views fill this beach town, offering delicious food and buzzing nightlife. Trek through the jungle, hop on a surfboard and end the day on a relaxing sunset dinner cruise. You’ll soon see why this is one of the most popular islands in Thailand.
- Krabi. Dreamy beaches, flavorsome food and a sea so blue you won’t believe it’s real, this is probably one of the most romantic islands in the whole of Thailand. If you don’t mind a third wheel encroaching on your couples retreat (Mother Nature doesn’t do shy here), you’ll have the time of your life here. We recommend snorkeling to get up-close-and-personal with the abundant marine life in the coral reef and luminescent swimming, where you’ll marvel at the glowing plankton.
11. Paris, France
As if a list like this would be complete without the City of Love, non? Yes, the touristy checklist is more extensive than most, but even without the must-sees and dos you can while away the days luxuriating in one of the beautiful parks or the back of a romantic horse and carriage ride, and the nights wining and dining your other half. If you want to be really authentic, you can rent bikes and stick a baguette in the basket as you cycle around one of the most romantic places on the planet. No matter how you choose to spend your time here, you can be sure that she’ll fall in love with the perfectly quaint cobblestoned streets and freshly-baked smells filling the air the moment she arrives. ~sigh~
- Venice. More than just a city, Venice is a work of art. No matter when you visit, she’ll be utterly charmed by the scenic landscape and dream-like existence floating along the canals. Of course, no trip here is complete without a gondola tour, but we also recommend exploring the romantic bridges, narrow lanes and Gothic landmarks by foot. A boat trip to the glass-blowing region of Murano Island is another must if you want to go all out and buy a keepsake for her!
- Amalfi Coast. If the idea of snuggling up with your amore and selfie-ing up for the grid from a cliffside villa appeals, then this is probably the ideal spot for you to take your other half. Fresh seafood, beautiful beaches and ‘Gems of the Amalfi Coast’ await, and between bikes, hikes and sailing, there are multiple ways for you to tour this glistening part of the Mediterranean.
- Tuscany. Jaw-dropping from every corner, Tuscany is filled with delicious cuisine (seriously - this is one for the foodies - did someone say Truffle Hunting Tour?), world-class wines and olive groves.
- Edinburgh. There’s a whole lotta history wrapped up in these rolling green hills and more fascinating architecture and breathtaking hikes than you’ll know what to do with. From stunning castles to quirky street performers, you’ll never be far from a great pub or restaurant serving up the most delicious local delicacies and romantic bars overlooking this remarkable city.
- The Isle of Skye. Dramatic mountain views and coastal scenery envelope this fantasy-like landscape, complete with its very own fairy tale castle. A getaway fit for your very own Queen.
- Dana Point. Heading to a less popular beach town is sometimes the right move, especially if you’re planning a romantic getaway, and Dana Point - with its incredible whale and dolphin watching safari - is just one of those places.
- Sonoma Valley. Married to a wine enthusiast? Then you can’t beat a visit to this scenic region of California, overflowing with more than 100 wineries. You’ll be spoilt for choice when it comes to booking a tour, and don’t even get us started on the array of delicious restaurants - some of the country’s finest - at your fingertips.
- Malibu. Fall into the most sensational ocean views from your cliff-top accommodation and wine and dine your loved one throughout this seriously romantic beach spot. If you’re feeling really fancy, you can book a private wine tour, and if she likes a bit of the celeb life, well … let’s just say you’ll have plenty to wow her with here!
15. Willemstad, Curaçao
This vibrant and bustling cobblestoned city - also a UNESCO World Heritage Site - is a must-do for any culture buff, thanks to its colonial architecture and museums.
16. Costa Rica
- Maui. If the image that comes to mind is of The Rock’s alter-ego (IYKYK) and NOT this real-life paradise, then it’s time to turn off Disney, kiss the kids goodbye and whisk the wife off to this remarkable romantic hub. This is the perfect place to book a private helicopter tour, drive along the beautiful Hana Highway and view the Haleakala volcano at sunrise - and that’s before we even mention the 30-mile stretch of inviting beach that any good couples’ retreat needs.
- Kauai. This secluded island has it all - beautiful beaches, colorful gardens, scenic waterfalls that you can appreciate while kayaking (we love!) and drop-dead resorts. Hike, bike or simply chillax by the pool - there’s no better way to show her you love her.
18. Stratford Upon-Avon, UK
For a Romeo and Juliet-inspired gateway (without the whole, you know, tragic ending), head to Shakespeare’s neck of the woods - this old-world medieval market town filled with charm.
19. Sedona, Arizona
Spend your days exploring the ancient ruins by foot or jeep and then keep calm and chillax at one of the endless spas.
20. Quebec, Canada
Get a European-style vacation without the long flight - that’s right; Quebec offers French-colonial architecture and historical sites dating back to the 1600s. The Old City is a hub of museums and fine dining establishments, while you can up the romance by taking her in a horse-drawn carriage around the cobbled streets. Book a scavenger hunt for a fun way to learn about your surroundings!
21. St. Lucia
Breathtaking beaches, fishing villages and luxury resorts; St. Lucia is a winner when it comes to choosing somewhere to treat your wife. Hike around nature reserves, explore bubbling sulfur volcano springs and hop on a hippo and crocodile cruise.
23. Marrakech, Morocco
Explore this walled, medieval, history-filled city brimming with mosques, palaces and gardens. Whiling away your days getting lost among the maze-like alleys peppered with traditional markets, you’ll be more than ready to sit down for a delicious dinner at the Palais Arabe restaurant come evening. Other things we love include a day tour to the Magic Ouzoud falls, a pottery class, a desert camel ride and a Hot Air Balloon Sunrise Flight. Phew! The opportunities are truly endless.
24. Northern Lights, Iceland
While it’s true that the gem in Iceland’s crown is the natural wonder that is the Northern Lights (between November and January for the best views), there are lots of other ways to enjoy this incredible country, too. From paragliding to a helicopter tour, the sure-fire romance will definitely warm up your much-chilled bones!
25. Buenos Aires, Argentina
Think she’d like the idea of a private tango lesson in the city of tango? Then this - last but most definitely not least on our list - should definitely factor into your plans. Stroll through the cobblestoned streets and meander at the antiques markets while you’re here, too!
Go on … she deserves it!